BSSW graduates become generalist social work practitioners and are qualified for a wide range of jobs. Employment prospects for undergraduate social work professionals are very good. U.S. News and World Report routinely lists social work as a strong growth field.
About 15-20% of our graduates are employed prior to graduation.
BSSW social workers are case managers, counselors, advocates, planners, organizers, educators, and administrators.
BSSW social workers work
- with all age groups including infants, children, adolescents, adults, and aging,
- all systems levels including individuals, families, groups, organizations, communities
- in our communities, at state, regional, federal and internationally
- in all kinds of social service settings including county human service agencies in health, mental health, disabilities, employment training & child welfare; schools, head start, & child care; hospitals & health care settings; aging nursing homes; behavioral health, addictions, & violence treatment; nonprofits & community action agencies, advocacy organizations; planning agencies; homelessness, poverty, & food insecurity; judicial, legal, & legislative entities
For information on employment opportunities in Minnesota, visit.
Advising & Professional Development Opportunities
- Assigned a Social Work Program Faculty Advisor help develop academic plan and provide academic and professional readiness support.
- Faculty mentor students in research, presentations, or writing projects;
- Students present at local, state, and international conferences,
- Students publish letters to the editors, policy analysis reports, and articles in professional journals
- Professional development opportunities include Social Work Day at the Capital; MSSA conferences; membership in search committees; BSSW Program Student Advisory Council, etc.
- The Social Work Club recognized for its work with local community programs and leadership opportunities
- Phi Alpha National Social Work Honor Society provides academic recognition, leadership opportunities, and service activities
Domestic and International Study Away Opportunities
- Short term (3-4 weeks) and long-term (semester) study away programs in the US, South Africa, and Northern Ireland
- Students and faculty have studied in Thailand, Australia, Finland, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom, Germany, Japan, South Africa, and Belize
Graduate Education Opportunities
- About 25% of our BSSW graduates pursue graduate education; at least 50% complete graduate education over time
- BSSW graduates can complete the graduate social work programs in one year
- BSSW students graduate from MSW programs in North and South Carolina, Arizona, Colorado, Texas, Missouri, California, Washington.
- Graduates pursue degrees in law, corrections, human services planning and administration, urban planning, counseling psychology, and student personnel.
- Our graduates awarded highly competitive scholarships for graduate education.