About Athletic Training
Minnesota State University, Mankato is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE) located at 6850 Austin Center Blvd., Suite 100, Austin, TX 78731-3184. The program will have its next comprehensive review during the (2027-28) academic year.
Master's Degree in Athletic Training
This program will prepare graduate students to enter the health care field of athletic training. Athletic trainers are health care professionals who collaborate with physicians, and other health care professionals to provide services that include injury/illness prevention, emergency care, clinical diagnosis, therapeutic intervention and rehabilitation of injuries and medical conditions sustained or exacerbated by participation in athletics and other physical activity. Athletic trainers work under the direction of physicians, as prescribed by state regulatory statutes. Athletic trainers are highly qualified, multi-skilled health care professionals, and who fall under the allied health professions category as defined by Health Resources Services Administration (HRSA) and Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). Athletic trainers are assigned National Provider Identifier (NPI) numbers, and the taxonomy code for athletic trainers is 2255A2300X. Athletic trainers are listed in the Bureau of Labor Statistics in the “professional and related occupations” section along with other mid-level health care professionals.
The graduate athletic training program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE) as a Master of Science in Athletic Training.
Please check out a 360 degree image of our newly remodeled Athletic Training classroom/laboratory by clicking HERE and click/hold/drag the cursor to move around the image.
News and References
- Forbes article indicates Athletic Training is one of the top 10 fastest growing professions since the recession.
- Maverick Athletic Training Alum working with the Minnesota Vikings Cheer team
- Another Maverick Alum in the Olympics and a couple others winning national awards!
- Program Director and alum Dr. Sexton inducted into the National Athletic Trainers' Association (NATA) Hall of Fame. NATA HoF, MATA HoF
- Mankato named 2nd Best Small College Town in America!
- A 2003 Alumnus tells her career story as the head athletic trainer for USA Women's Volleyball.
- Minnesota State Mankato is one of the best (#3) college value Universities
- Mankato is a top 10 small college town in the United States
- Mankato is one of the Top 50 (#33) best college towns in the United States
- Mankato is a top 10 (7th) best cities in which to live after college graduation
- Where Do Athletic Trainers Practice?