Application & Admission
ADT MS applicants submit materials to the College of Graduate Studies and Research and apply via GradCAS. The College of Graduate Studies and Research reviews the University Graduate Application for completeness and forwards the student transcript and supplemental material to the Department of Dental Education for review. The Department of Dental Education reviews the information from the College of Graduate Studies and Research to make admission decisions.
The following requirements must be submitted at the time of application:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited university (must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher based on undergraduate coursework)
- Unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended
- A current Minnesota dental hygiene license without encumbrance, including nitrous oxide and local anesthesia certifications (new graduates of dental hygiene programs and out-of-state applicants are encouraged to apply but must attain a Minnesota dental hygiene license prior to enrollment)
- Evidence of completed or in progress DHYG 440 Restorative Functions or equivalent training/education
- Evidence of current dental hygiene professional liability insurance
- Evidence of required immunizations specified by Minnesota Law (M.S. 135A.14)
- Evidence of current CPR certification (must be through the American Red Cross or American Heart Association)
- Evidence of HIPAA training
- A Portfolio or resume showcasing your work and volunteer experience. Evidence to support this must also be submitted (pay stub, letter from employer, etc.). The ideal candidate will have accumulated a minimum of 1,000 hours of clinical dental hygiene experience as a licensed dental hygienist. However, new graduates of dental hygiene programs are encouraged to apply if they will be able to accumulate a minimum of 300 hours practicing as a licensed dental hygienist prior to beginning the program.
- A Personal Statement describing your reasons for wanting to pursue the MS in Advanced Dental Therapy degree. Limit your statement to 500 words or less.
- A Diversity Statement explaining your experiences and commitments to diversity. Your statement should be 750-1000 words in length. Four areas that might be included in a diversity statement are: your values related to diversity, your experiences interacting with diverse populations, your future plans related to inclusivity, and adversity you have witnessed or personally encountered.
- A signed Technical Standards Form
Qualified candidates are contacted to schedule a phone interview. During this interview, the admissions committee will review the candidates reasons for wanting to pursue the ADT MS degree and his/her Diversity statement. The candidate should be prepared to answer additional questions including those related to professionalism and conflict resolution.
The following are required prior to enrollment:
- A current Minnesota dental hygiene license without encoumbrance, including nitrous oxide and local anesthesia certifications (if not previously submitted with the application)
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended
- Evidence to support accumulated hours of dental hygiene experience as a licensed dental hygienist
- Evidence of current health insurance
- Evidence of additional immunizations required for health care providers: Tuberculosis/TB screening (mantoux), Hep B and varicella, COVID-19 (Please note, annual flu shots are highly encouraged and may be required by external clinics where rotations occur.)
In addition to immunizations required by Minnesota Law (M.S. 135A.14) for students enrolled in a public or private post-secondary MN school, additional immunizations are required as a health care provider. These are tuberculosis/TB screening (Mantoux), Hep B and varicella. Documentation of vaccinations or evidence of serologic testing indicating the presence of antibodies are required for final program admission. Additionally, the ADT MS student may be required to complete additional vaccinations as required by external clinic partners, and may include an annual flu shot and COVID-19 vaccinations.
- Much more affordable than similar programs
- 14 months to complete a master's degree
- ADT MS students able to work in private practice under their license as a dental hygienist on Mondays since all coursework held Tu-Fri