Frequently Asked Questions

I'm interested in the health field, but haven't decided on a major. Who should I see for help?

The College Advising Office provides pre-major advising, including general information on majors offered within the College, referrals to University resources to clarify career goals, and other resources. Call 507-389-6315 or email us for an appointment.

When and how do I declare my major?

You are encouraged to declare your major as soon as you've decided which major you wish to pursue. In the College of Allied Health and Nursing, nursing majors are declared in the School of Nursing (360 Wissink Hall). For other majors in the College, visit the College Advising Office (Myers Field House 124) first. If you are within your first year of study, you will work with advisors in the College Advising Center until you are ready to apply to your major. If you have met the criteria to apply and be accepted into your major, you will be assigned an advisor within the department. Remember that declaring a major is not the same as being admitted into a major (read on below!).

When and how am I admitted into my major?

Each program has specific requirements for admission to a major. Many have formal application processes, GPA requirements, prerequisite courses, and credit requirements. Consult the Undergraduate Catalog, department website, and information provided within each department for more details. It's very important to work closely with your advisor to prepare for timely admission into your chosen major.

I don't know who my advisor is. How do I find out?

Don't know who your faculty advisor is? Visit E-Services and enter your star ID number and password, where you will be taken to your student account. Click on “View Class Schedule”, and your advisor's name will appear at the top of your schedule. If you do not have an advisor assigned, visit the College Advising Center in Myers Field House 124 or call or email Shirley Murray at 507-389-6315 or

How do you get placed on academic warning or probation?

Academic warning occurs if your cumulative local GPA drops below a 2.0 or your cumulative completion rate drops below 67%. You will receive an email notification from the Academic Affairs and the College Advising Center office if this occurs.

What do I do if I am placed on academic warning or probation?

The first step in addressing academic warning or probation is to make an appointment with College Advising or Nursing Advising, who can help assess your needs and options, and guide you through the academic warning and probation advising process.

How do I get permission to take an overload of credits?

The Undergraduate Credit Hour Overload Request Form may be obtained from the Registration Help Center (Floor 1 of the Wigley Administration Building). This form must be completed, signed by your faculty advisor and department chairperson (or Dean, if your request is for more than 21 credits), and then submitted to Shirley Murray in Myers Field House 124 for final entry into the system.

How do I enroll in an upper division (300 or 400 level) course if I haven't been admitted into a major?

Enrollment in upper division courses without admission to a major requires permission from the respective department chairperson. This permission is temporary, and only applies to the term it is granted for.

I'm a transfer student. How do I find out how my credits will fit into the requirements at Minnesota State University, Mankato?

General transfer evaluations are done by the Office of the Registrar for each transfer student. This general transfer audit will indicate how your credits fulfill the General Education requirements at Minnesota State University, Mankato. Transfer courses that may be related to your major must be evaluated within the department to determine if course substitutions or waivers will be allowed. Be sure to provide this information for review to your advisor, department chair or designee far in advance of registration, so you know your standing within the major. Check with the department for their specific process and timelines.

How do I find out about scholarships that I might qualify for in the College?

The College, departments and/or prorgrams will share more about various scholarships available to students in their respective majors. There are also college-wide scholarships that are advertised beginning earlin the spring semester. The Office of Financial Aid also has additional information on scholarships and financial assistance programs. Learn moreabout scholarships in the College of Allied Health and Nursing.