Marlene Tappe, Professor
- B.S., Mankato State University (majors in Health Science Teaching and Physical Education and a Coaching Certificate)
- M.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, School Health Education
- Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Health and Safety Studies
- Undergraduate: Applied Health Science, Health and Physical Education
- Graduate: Community Health Education
TEACHING AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Comfrey Public Schools: Teacher of Health Education (7-10) and Physical Education (1-3, 7-10)
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: Graduate Teaching and Research Assistant
- Purdue University: Assistant/Associate Professor
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Visiting Health Scientist
PRIMARY COURSES TAUGHT
- HLTH 101: Health and the Environment
- HLTH 240: Drug Education
- HLTH 260: Introduction to Health Education
- HLTH 320: School Health Education
- HLTH 360: Theories and Models of Health Education
- HLTH 420W: Health Teaching Methods
- HLTH 441/541: Death Education
- HLTH 451/551: Emotional Health and Stress
RESEARCH AND SCHOLARSHIP AREAS
- School Health Education
- Whole School Whole Community Whole Child (Coordinated School Health)
- Professional Preparation in School Health Education (Coordinated School Health)
- Advocacy for Health and Health Education
- Physical Among Children and Youth
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Allensworth, D. M., Grizzell, J., Stevenson, B., & Tappe, M. K. (2017). Promoting health in schools and universities. In C. Fertman & D. M. Allensworth, Health Promotion Programs: From Theory to Practice (2nd) (pp. 325-347). Jossey-Bass/Wiley.
- Huelskamp, A. C., Dake, J. A., Telljohann, S. K., Tappe, M. K., & Jordan, T. (2016). A national assessment of the impact of the Institutes for Higher Education Academy on school health faculty. Journal of Health Education Teaching, 7, 64-77.
- Tappe, M. K., & Galer-Unti, R. A. (2013). U.S. policies for school health education: Opportunities for advocacy at the local, state, and national levels. Health Promotion Practice, 14, 328-333.
- Tappe, M. K., Allensworth, D. M., & Grizzell, J. (2010). Promoting health in schools and universities. In C. Fertman & D. M. Allensworth, Health Promotion Programs: From Theory to Practice (pp. 313-340). Jossey-Bass/Wiley.
- Tappe, M. K., Wilbur, K. M., Telljohann, S. K., & Jensen, M. J. (2009). Articulation of the National Health Education Standards to support learning and healthy behaviors among students. American Journal of Health Education, 40, 245-254.
- Tappe, M. K., Galer-Unti, R. A., & Radius, S. M. (2009). Incorporating advocacy training into professional preparation programs. American Journal of Health Studies, 24, 257-265.
- Joint Committee on National Health Education Standards. (2007). National health education standards: Achieving excellence (2nd). American Cancer Society. (Lead Author Chapter 4: Assessment: Measuring Excellence)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (1997). Guidelines for school and community health programs to promote lifelong physical activity among young people. MMWR, 46(No. RR-6), 1-36.
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. (1996). Understanding and Promoting Physical Activity. Physical Activity and Health: A Report of the Surgeon General (pp. 211-259). United States Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion.
- Joint Committee on National Health Education Standards. (1995). National Health Education Standards: Achieving Health Literacy. American Cancer Society.
- Coalition of National Health Education Organizations, CNHEO Health Education Advocate Achievement Award, March 2010
- Presidential Award, Society of State Directors of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation, 2009
- Award of Excellence, American Cancer Society, Contributions to the National Health Education Standards: Achieving Excellence (Second Edition), 2007
- Distinguished Service Award, Eta Sigma Gamma, 2004
- 2002 Health Education Professional of the Year, American Association for Health, College/University Award, 2002
- Secretary's Award for Distinguished Service, United States Department of Health and Human Services, Contributions to the Surgeon General's Report on Physical Activity and Health, 1997
- Special Act Award, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Contributions to the Surgeon General's Report on Physical Activity and Health, 1996
- Certificate of Appreciation, American Cancer Society and the Association for the Advancement of Health Education, Contributions to the National Health Education Standards, 1995