Mu Lambda Chapter History
Mu Lambda Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau, International Honor Society of Nursing (SSTI) at Minnesota State University, Mankato, received its charter on May 4, 1990. It is one of 446 chapters in the United States and internationally. More than 390,000 nurses have been inducted into Sigma Theta Tau International of which 125,000 are active members making STTI the second largest nursing organization in the world. There are chapters in more than 90 countries and territories. Countries include: the United States, Australia, Botzwana, Brazil, Canada, China, Korea, Mexico, The Netherlands, Pakistan, South Africa, Swailand, Taiwan, and Tanzania. Membership is an honor and conferred upon nursing students in baccalaureate or graduate programs who demonstrate excellence in nursing or upon community leaders who demonstrate exceptional achievement as leaders in nursing.
Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society of Nursing (STTI) was founded by six nursing students at Indiana University in 1922. The founders chose the name from the initials of the Greek words "storge", "Tharsos" and "Time", meaning "love," "courage," and "honor." STTI is the second largest nursing organization in the United States and among the fifth largest and most prestigious in the world. STTI is committed to improving the health of people worldwide through increasing the scientific base of nursing practice.
The Society Exists To:
- Recognize superior achievement
- Encourage the development of leadership qualities
- Foster high professional standards
- Encourage creative work
- Strengthen the commitment to the ideals and purposes of the profession
STTI Serves Its Members Through:
- Conferences focusing on professional growth and leadership
- Computer access to a comprehensive collection of scholarly work
- Publications such as Journal of Nursing Scholarship and Reflections on Nursing Leadership which feature information on nursing health care issues and research studies
For information on membership or committee involvement, please contact any of the officers of the Mu Lambda Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau, International.