National Certification

Students can pursue certification upon graduation.  To qualify to take the exam administered by the National Council on Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC), students must demonstrate an appropriate academic degree consisting of relevant coursework and complete an approved practicum (all possible through MSU). Certification is awarded upon passing the exam.

Certification is voluntary and the credential is not required to practice therapeutic recreation in 45 states.  However, in New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oklahoma, and Utah, professionals must be licensed before they can legally call themselves therapeutic recreation specialists and deliver services.  In these states, passing the national certification exam is one requirement to becoming licensed.  More information about national certification is located on the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification website (