- Online courses offer great flexibility for those working part-time or full-time who have busy lives. It may be the only option for those who do not live near an institution offering this degree.
- You are able to work on assignment when you have time and you don't waste time and money traveling to campus.
I Have Never Taken An Online Class. What Should I Expect?
MSU currently uses D2L Brightspace as the online platform for courses. University Extended Education provides great resources for students to use to prepare for online learning including a demonstration course in D2L. Technology requirements and skill requirements are also listed. It is highly recommended that all students interested in taking online courses at MSU review this website before starting.
- Courses in our program are asynchronous, which means you don't need to be online at a specific time.
- Students will gain knowledge through introductions by the professor, reading materials, online resources, and discussion with peers.
- Some courses have exams or quizzes; these are open book and typically timed. Other assignment options may include papers and online discussions.
- The classes encourage all students to utilize evidence based decision making and apply knowledge gained into clinical practice and other places of employment.
Are Any Visits to Campus Required Throughout the Program?
- No campus visits are required in the program
- Certain courses have outside assignments to be completed during the week; if you work five days a week, you may need to take off time from work.
- Information on these assignments is provided within the course syllabus.
How Can I Complete My General Education Requirements Online?
- You can complete all general education requirements online at MSU, Mankato. The list of online courses each semester is posted in the section "Courses in Program".
- Students can search for online courses using the following information on the Tips for Course Search page.
If you are completing a course from another institution, and need financial aid for this course, please contact the Campus Hub with the institution name and course number/title, including number of credits. They will help you determine if you need a Common Market Passport or a Consortium Agreement. This process will be completed in conjunction with the MSU Registrar's Office and can take anywhere from 2–5 weeks. Students may need to be registered and pay for the course before the agreement can be complete, and will later be reimbursed through financial aid's normal distribution process.