Prospective StudentsPage address: http://ahn.mnsu.edu/rpls/prospectivestudents.html
RPLS careers are within one of the fastest growing fields in today’s tight job market. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that overall employment for recreation workers will increase by 19 percent from 2010 to 2020, a higher rate of growth than the average for all occupations.
The RPLS profession is involved in a wide variety of settings, serving a diversified population. The following is only a partial list of the many occupations available if you choose a career in RPLS.
- Therapeutic Recreation Specialist in a hospital or a rehabilitation center
- Park Naturalist and Park Ranger in city, state or national parks and forests
- Director of Recreation and Parks for a city or county
- Cruise Activity Director
- Swimming Pool Manager
- Park Designer
- Youth/Sports Director for YMCA, YWCA, Boys & Girls Clubs
- Camp Director for church or youth agency camps
- Activity Director at a skilled nursing facility
- Program Director for a senior citizens center
- Program Director for youth, outdoor sports and single sailor/solider programs on military bases world-wide.
- Inclusion Specialist for a city parks and recreation department
- Special Events Coordinator for a city recreation and parks department
- Manager of a golf course, bowling alley or ice rink
- Resort Manager
- Executive Director, Boy Scouts of America
- Recreation Specialist in a treatment center
- Youth Development Specialist
- Director of Youth Ministries
- Adult Programs Coordinator for a Community Education Department
- Events Specialist for a Chamber of Commerce
- Intramural Sports Manager or Student Union Director
- Recreation Specialist in a correctional facility
- Adaptive Recreation Specialist for a camp
Learn about what relevancy, diversity, and inclusion mean to the National Park Service by watching this video that was newly released by the National Park service: http://nps.gov/orgs/1244/news.htm
Thanks to personal attention from faculty, hands-on experience in the field, and the professional preparation students receive, Minnesota State Mankato RPLS graduates will be ready to fill many of those positions.