PracticumPage address: http://ahn.mnsu.edu/rpls/practicum.html
The senior capstone experience (practicum) requires you to complete a 14 consecutive week (560 hours) fieldwork experience that allows you to make the adjustment from the classroom to the professional world. This “practicum” is usually scheduled after you have completed all of your course work including Field Experience, earned a 2.5 GPA in the major and received at least a “C” grade in each RPLS course. The practicum is set up with the assistance of your faculty advisor.
How to Start Your Search:
- Check the database available in 215 HCN
- Check the Paper Files in 215 HCN
- Attend the Summer Job Fair in February
- Identify a city or agency (i.e. YMCA & Minneapolis) Google it!
- Identify a category such as “State Park Internships”, “Recreation Internships”, “Special Event Internships” and enter that into a search engine
- Identify a city and go to its web page
- Ask your Advisor
Be aware that these documents and websites represent only a few sources to consult in your search for a practicum. Please let us know if you find any valuable sources not listed here. Forward information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Few Websites to get you started:
- Recreation Internships: www.recreationinternships.com
- Non-Profit Internships: http://www.learn4good.com/jobs/language/english/list/non-profit/usa_united_states/
- DNR: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/jobs/internships.html
- MRPA Internship: www.mnrpa.org/student-membership/
- MTRA Student Page: www.mtra.memberlodge.org/page-1058787
- ATRA: https://www.atra-online.com/networking/
- NRPA (“View all Jobs” and then look for internships in the list): http://careercenter.nrpa.org/search/ results/
- Event Management: http://www.job-search-engine.com/keyword/event-management-internships
- Therapeutic Recreation: http://www.recreationtherapy.com/jobs/
- Federal Government Internships: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-information/students-recent-graduates/ (Especially recommended for students looking for future positions with the NPS, USFS, BLM, etc. who do not have military or AmeriCorps/Peace Corps experience. Students should identify a position, contact the agency/look on USAJOBS for open positions and apply.)
- Morale Welfare and Recreation (Navy): http://navymwr.org/internships/
- National Park Service: http://www.nps.gov/getinvolved/index.htm
- National Wildlife Federation: http://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers
- Conservation Job Board: https://conservationjobboard.com
- Environmental Careers Organization Internships: https://environmentalcareer.com
- Adventure Job Board: https://adventurejobboard.com
- YMCA: http://www.ymca.net/career-opportunities/
- State Parks: http://www.coolworks.com/state-park-jobs/
Madison School & Community Recreation, WI
MSCR is looking to find enthusiastic, motivated, passionate candidates for their internship program. Internship information and applications can be found on their website: www.mscr.org. Summer semester deadline is March 1st, Fall semester deadline is July 15, and Winter/Spring semester deadline is October 15.
City of Ramsey, Ramsey MN
Grounds & Landscaping and Parks & Recreation Internship is available for the City of Ramsey. The primary objective is to provide assistance to our Public Works staff. This position facilitates and/or coordinates multiple ongoing City functions, projects and events; including the set up and day-to-day operations for both the Draw Summer Event Series (outdoor concerts) and the Farmers' Market. This position will also assist with the set-up of the annual Happy Days Fesitval. The full job description and online application are on the city's website: www.cityoframsey.com.
West Fargo Park District, ND
The principle purpose of the West Fargo Park District's Internship Program is to assist students in making an effective transition from the classroom to the professional world. It is designed to give students the opportunity to explore the parks and recreation field and discover where their interests lie. For full position description and to apply click here: www.wfparks.org/about-us/employment-volunteer-opportunities/
Disney College Program, Lake Buena Vista, FL
As a Disney College Program participant, you'll become part of the magic that is known worldwide. Gain valuable, on-the-job experience working in our parks and resorts, participate in college coursework, and have the opportunitiy to meet and live with people form all over the country and potentially the world in company sponsored housing. This truly unique five-to-seven month program allows participants to network with leaders, take part in personal and career development classes, and build transferable skills such as problem-solving, teamwork, guest service and effective communication. To learn more: https://jobs.disneycareers.com/disney-college-program?cid=14452
Conservation Corps, St. Paul MN
Our organization offers full-time, temporary AmericCorps positions for young people ages 18-25, all centered around environmental conservation. Our programs are a great way for members to get a foot in the door with government and nonprofit agenices! Members receive on-the-job training in natural resource management, environmental education and outdoors skills, then go on to put those skills into practice on natural resource projects across the Midwest. All our AmeriCorps members receive the following benefits:
- Monthly stipend
- AmeriCorps education award upon successful completion of term that can be used for school expenses or to repay federally-backed student loans
- Skills training and job experience
- Health insurance
- Student loan forbearance during service term
Applicants can learn more and apply online at http://www.conservationcorps.org/apply.
Mankato Community Education and Recreation
A position as a Community Education and Recreation Intern is available beginning January and August annually and ending Fall and Spring academic term annually. This assignment is for 8 hours per day/5 days per week for a total of 560 hours. Summary of Duties include - Assisting with an individual Connections site's program development, delivery and administration; Engaging in the set up and supervision of Adult Recreation pickleball program or other programming; Completing parent participation surveys for Connecting Kids, compiling data, updating website, and visiting sites. Please complete online application found at www.isd77.org.
MN Department of Natural Resources
Internships are available at locations across the state with opportunities including, but not limited to: Fish Monitoring, Forestry Management, Interpretive Naturalist, Invasive Species Management, Fisheries Education, Mussel Research, State Park Operations, State Park Security, Shallow Lakes Specialist, Stream Habitat Preservation, Watercraft Inspection. We currently are seeking up to 200 interns. Log onto https://mn.gov/mmb/careers/. Enter "intern" in the keywords field on the Job Search Page. Select "Natural Resources Dept" in the "Agency" column on the left side of the page. Choose the internship(s) you are interested in and click the apply button.
Student Conservation Corps (SCA)
Nonprofit organization that engage high school, undergraduate and graduate school students through internships, conservation jobs, and crew experiences to conduct resource management, historic preservation, cultural resources and conservation programs for the purpose of training, career development and education. SCA places volunteers in more than 350 park units and NPS offices each year. Wide range of positions with specific expertise requirements. 3-to-12 month internship opportunities. Living and travel expenses, insurance, housing and education awards are provided to interns. For further information: http://www.thesca.org/
Lake Crystal Area Recreation Center
The Lake Crystal Area Recreation Center is looking for individuals who take initiative, who are motivated, creative, organized, and looking for real world experience. The Rec Center is just a short 16 minute drive from Mankato. The Lake Crystal Area Recreation Center is a multi-use recreational and community center. We are looking for interns who have an interest in programming large and small events, health and fitness, senior programming and fitness, business and finance, recreation management, community health, marketing, education, and more. www.lcarc.com
Wilderness Inquiry Internships, MN
Each year, Wilderness Inquiry operates hundreds of canoeing, kayaking, and hiking trips to destinations in Minnesota, across the United States, and around the world for people of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities. Apply online at: www.wildernessinquiry.org/jobs.