James B. WisePage address: http://ahn.mnsu.edu/rpls/faculty/wise.html
- M.S. Experiential Education; Minnesota State University, Mankato, 2017
- Ph.D., Parks, Recreation, and Tourism; University of Utah, 1999
- M.P.E., Athletic Administration; Idaho State University, 1993
- B.A., Leisure Studies with Therapeutic Recreation emphasis; Iowa State University, 1986
- Certifications: Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS), Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
- Therapeutic Recreation Career Track
Primary Courses Taught
- Leisure and Lifestyle
- Therapeutic Recreation Services
- Therapeutic Recreation Process
- Therapeutic Recreation Assessment
- Therapeutic Recreation Techniques
- Advancement of the Therapeutic Recreation Profession
- Generalization of Self Efficacy
- Philosophy and Therapeutic Recreation
- Flourishing and People with Disabilities
Selected Recent Publications
- Wise, J.B. (2017). Leisure and work: Interdependent facets of human flourishing. Therapeutic Recreation Journal, 51(1), 1-17. Available from http://js.sagamorepub.com/trj/article/view/7963.
- Wise, J.B. (2016). Deepened ecological model: A fresh perspective on the experienc of disability. Therapeutic Recreation Journal, 50, 199-212. Available from http://js.sagamorepub.com/trj/article/view/7156/5748.
- Wise, J.B. (2015). Leisure: A Human Right. Therapeutic Recreation Journal, 49, 166-178.
- Wise, J.B. (2014). What is Leisure? A MacIntyrian Based Response. Journal of Unconventional Parks, Tourism and Recreation Research, 5(2), 17-22. What is Leisure? A MacIntyrian Based Response.
- Wise, J.B. (2014). Personhood, flourishing, disability, leisure and a profession. Journal of Unconventional Parks, Tourism and Recreation Research, 5(1), 17-28. Personhood, flourishing, disability, leisure and a profession..
- Wise, J.B. (2010). Theory of human flourishing for therapeutic recreation. American Journal of Recreation Therapy, 9(1), 27-34.
- Wise, J. B. (2009). Using the knowledge–and–appraisal personality architecture to predict physically active leisure self–efficacy in university students. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 39, 1913-1927.
- Wise, J.B. (2008). Using the knowledge - and - appraisal personality architecture to predict self-efficacy within indvidual persons. Psychological Reports, 103, 406-410.
- Wise, J. B. (2007). Testing a theory that explains how self–efficacy beliefs are formed: Predicting self–efficacy appraisals across recreation activities. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 26, 829–836.
- Mountain Biking
- Snow Skiing
- Weight Training