Dr. Ron Nickerson, Ph.D.Page address: http://ahn.mnsu.edu/rpls/faculty/nickerson.html
- Ph.D. Forest Resources, University Minnesota, Twin Cities
- M.S. Forest Resources, University Minnesota, Twin Cities
- B.A. History, LeMoyne College, Syracuse, New York
- Resource Management Emphasis Area
Primary Courses Taught
- Commercial Recreation and Tourism
- Review of Outdoor Recreation Research
- Public Land Use Policies
- Park Planning
- Wildland Recreation Management
- Wildlife as a Recreation Resource
- Strategic planning in park and recreation management
- Public participation in planning processes
- Use of benefits–based management research in park planning
- Educational needs of state park planners
- Benefits of recreation
- Recreation land management policy
- Park planning and management
- Curriculum design and assessment
- Continuing education needs and assessment for recreation professionals
- Sandmann, W. and Nickerson, R., 2006. Assessing general education: What we learned after four years (Conference proceedings). In Higher Learning Commission (Ed.) A collection of papers on self–study and institutional improvement, 2006 Vol. 3, The future–focused organization: Focusing on the effectiveness of teaching and learning (pp. 79–82). Chicago: Higher Learning Commission.
- Nickerson, R., Anderson, D. H., Davenport, M. A., Leahy, J. and Stein, T. V., 2005. (management handbook). A manager 's guide to: gathering and using visitor and community benefits data to manage outdoor recreation areas. St. Paul: University of Minnesota, Department of Forest Resources.
- Pierskalla, C. D., Lee, M. E., Stein, T. V., Anderson, D. H., and Nickerson, R., 2004 (referred journal article). Understanding relationships among recreation opportunities: A meta–analysis of nine studies. Leisure Sciences (26, 2), 163–180.
- Nickerson, R., 2003. Recreation – tourism preference assessment survey Itasca State Park field test: Final report. (Technical Report to US Department of Interior, Bureau of Land Management Colorado State Office). Mankato, Minnesota: Minnesota State University, Mankato.
- Anderson, D. H., Lee, M. E., Nickerson, R., Pierskalla, C. D., and Stein, T. V., 2002 (abstract). Understanding relationships among recreation opportunities: A meta–analysis of nine studies. In The Ninth International Symposium on Society and Resource Management: Book of abstracts. Symposium conducted at Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, June 2 – 5.
- Anderson, D.H., Nickerson, R., Stein, T.V., and Lee, M.E., 2000 (edited book chapter). Planning to provide community and visitor benefits. in William C. Gartner and David W. Lime (eds.) Trends in outdoor recreation and tourism. New York: CABI Publishing.
- Ph.D. Forest Resources
Understanding the personal on–site beneficial experiences of Minnesota state park visitors, University of Minnesota, Department of Forest Resources, St. Paul, Minnesota, 1998.
- M. S. Forest Resources
Alternatives for funding long–distance recreational trail acquisition, development and maintenance, University of Minnesota, Department of Forest Resources, St. Paul, Minnesota, 1994 (Plan B Thesis).