Brooke N. BurkPage address: http://ahn.mnsu.edu/rpls/faculty/burk.html
- Ph.D., Recreation, Sport and Tourism; University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, 2011
- M.A., Leisure, Youth and Human Services; University of Northern Iowa, 2008
- B.A., Psychology; University of Iowa, 2006
- Leisure Planning and Management
Primary Courses Taught
- Introduction to Recreation, Parks and Leisure Services
- Leisure and Lifestyle
- Program Planning in RPLS
- Public Relations
- Burk, B.N, & Shellman, A. (2014, March). Preventing bullying in your parks and programs. Presented at New York State Recreation and Parks Society Conference, Rochester, NY.
- Burk, B.N. & Shellman, A. (2013, October). Bullying and Leisure: How Parents and Children Conceptualize and Cope. To be presented at the National Recreation and Park Association, Houston, TX.
- Burk, B.N. (2012, November). Make-up and gym socks: Examining third-wave feminism among Black girls. Presented at the Cortland Recreation Conference Research Symposium, Cortland, NY.
- Burk, B.N. & Shinew, K.J. (2012, March). An examination of how African American girls conceptualize health. Presented at Active Living Research Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Paden, L.K., & Burk, B.N. (2011, November). Evaluating your evaluation process. Presented at the National Recreation and Park Association Conference. Atlanta, GA.
- Burk, B.N.(2014). Black girls' perceptions of health and ideal body types. Journal of Gender Studies.
- Olsen, H. & Burk, B.N. (2014). Using reflection to assess students' ability to learn and develop leadership skills. Schole, 29 (1).
- Burk, B.N., Shinew, K.J. (2013). Factors that impact African American girls' participation in health-promoting leisure activities. Journal of Parks and Recreation Administration, 31 (1), 1-14.
- Van Puymbroeck, M., Burk, B.N., Shinew, K.J., Kuhlenschmidt, M.C. & Schmid, A.A. (2013) Perceived health benefits from yoga among breast cancer survivors. American Journal of Health Promotion, 27 (5), 308-315.
- Burk, B.N., Shinew, K.J., & Stodolska, M. (2011). Determinants of physical activity among Latinos visitors to outdoor recreation areas. Leisure/Loisir, 35 (3), 325-338.
Personal Leisure Interests
- Recreational sports