Coaching MinorPage address: http://ahn.mnsu.edu/hp/undergraduate/coaching.html
Athletic Coaching Minor
This minor prepares students for coaching positions in Minnesota and other states. For further information, contact Dr. Suzannah Armentrout at email@example.com.
Course Requirements (20 credits and 2.0 GPA)
Required for Minor
- HP 340 – Prevention and Care (2) - online (Fall, Spring, may be offered in Summer)
Prerequisite: HLTH 210 & BIOL 220
- HP 372 - Exercise Science for Coaches (3) - online (Summer only)
- HP 451 – Principles of Coaching (3) - online (Summer only)
- HP 462 – Sports Administration (3) - online (Fall, Spring, may be offered in Summer)
- HP 470 – Psychology of Coaching (3) - face to face (Fall, Spring); may be offered online (Summer)
Prerequisite: PSYCH 101 or equivalent
- HP 482 - Coaching Practicum (1) - online (Fall, Spring - permission required, see FAQs for more details)
Prerequisite: HP 340, HP 372, & HP 451 or instructor approval
- HLTH 210 - First Aid and CPR (3) - face to face (Fall, Spring)
Required Electives - Choose two of the following courses (2 credits) - all electives are online only, semesters listed are for 2016-2017
- HP 301- Swimming Theory - Fall second session
- HP 302- Wrestling Theory - Fall second session
- HP 303- Volleyball Theory - Fall second session
- HP 304- Track & Field Theory - Spring first session
- HP 305- Baseball Theory - Spring second session
- HP 306- Football Theory - Fall first session
- HP 308- Hockey Coaching Theory - Spring first session
- HP 309- Basketball Coaching Theory - Spring first session
- HP 310- Softball Theory - Spring second session
- HP 316- Tennis Theory - Fall first session
- HP 317- Golf Coaching Theory - Spring second session
- HP 318- Soccer Theory - Fall first session
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What can I do with an athletics coaching minor?
A: The athletics coaching minor provides students with academic preparation to coach at any level.
Q: I need to take HP 451 or HP 372. When will they be offered?
A: HP 451 Principles of Coaching and HP 372 Exercise Science for Coaches are offered in the Summer only.
Q: How do I get permission to register for HP 482?
A: Download the Coaching Practicum Application. Students must fill out the application and receive instructor permission to register. Email completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off at HC 1400.
Q: What if my sport is in both fall and spring semester? Which semester should I register for?
A: The coaching practicum requires you coach for a full season, which doesn't always line up with our academic semesters. Talk to the instructor to find out which semester to register for HP 482.
Q: How do I declare the Athletic Coaching minor?
A: You need to meet with Dr. Dutove to get permission to add the minor. If you have transfer classes from other schools, talk to Dr. Dutove to have those added to the minor on your DARS report.