Coaching MinorPage address: http://ahn.mnsu.edu/hp/undergraduate/coaching.html
Athletic Coaching Minor
This minor prepares students for coaching positions in Minnesota and other states. For further information, contact the Dr. Julia Dutove.
Course Requirements (20 credits)
Required for Minor
- HP 340 – Prevention and Care (2) - online (Fall, Spring, may be offered in Summer)
Prerequisite: HLTH 210 & BIOL 220
- HP 372 - Exercise Science for Coaches (3) - online (Summer only)
- HP 451 – Principles of Coaching (3) - online (Summer only)
- HP 462 – Sports Administration (3) - online (Fall, Spring, may be offered in Summer)
- HP 470 – Psychology of Coaching (3) - face to face (Fall); may be offered online (Summer)
Prerequisite: PSYCH 101 or equivalent
- HP 482 - Coaching Practicum (1) - online (Fall, Spring - permission required, see FAQs for more details)
Prerequisite: HP 340, HP 372, & HP 451 or instructor approval
- HLTH 210 - First Aid and CPR (3) - face to face (Fall, Spring)
Required Electives - Choose two of the following courses (2 credits) - all electives are online only, semesters listed are for 2016-2017
- HP 301- Swimming Theory - Fall
- HP 302- Wrestling Theory - Fall
- HP 303- Volleyball Theory - Fall
- HP 304- Track & Field Theory - Spring first session
- HP 305- Baseball Theory - Spring second session
- HP 306- Football Theory - Fall
- HP 308- Hockey Coaching Theory - Spring first session (permission required, contact Dr. Dutove if interested)
- HP 309- Basketball Coaching Theory - Spring first session
- HP 310- Softball Theory - Spring second session
- HP 311- Cross Country Theory - not currently offered
- HP 316- Tennis Theory - not currently offered
- HP 317- Golf Coaching Theory - Spring second session
- HP 318- Soccer Theory - Fall
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What can I do with an athletics coaching minor?
A: The athletics coaching minor provides students with academic preparation to coach at any level.
Q: I need to take HP 451 or HP 372. When will they be offered?
A: HP 451 Principles of Coaching and HP 372 Exercise Science for Coaches are offered in the Summer only.
Q: How do I get permission to register for HP 482?
A: Download the Coaching Practicum Application. Students must fill out the application and receive instructor permission to register. Email completed forms to email@example.com or drop off at HC 1400.
Q: What if my sport is in both fall and spring semester? Which semester should I register for?
The coaching practicum requires you coach for a full season, which doesn't always line up with our academic semesters. Talk to the instructor to find out which semester to register for HP 482.