Coaching MinorPage address: http://ahn.mnsu.edu/hp/undergraduate/coaching.html
Athletic Coaching Minor
This minor prepares students for coaching positions in Minnesota and other states.
Course Requirements (20 credits and 2.0 GPA)
Required for Minor
- HP 340 – Prevention and Care (2) - online (Fall, Spring, may be offered in Summer)
Prerequisite: HLTH 210 & BIOL 220
- HP 372 - Exercise Science for Coaches (3) - online (Summer only)
- HP 451 – Principles of Coaching (3) - online (Summer only)
- HP 462 – Sports Administration (3) - online (Fall, Spring, may be offered in Summer)
- HP 470 – Psychology of Coaching (3) - face to face (Fall); may be offered online (Summer)
Prerequisite: PSYCH 101 or equivalent
- HP 482 - Coaching Practicum (1) - online (Fall, Spring - permission required, see FAQs for more details)
Prerequisite: HP 340, HP 372, & HP 451 or instructor approval
- HLTH 210 - First Aid and CPR (3) - face to face (Fall, Spring)
Required Electives - Choose two of the following courses (2 credits) - all electives are online only, semesters listed are for 2019-2020
- HP 301- Swimming Theory - Fall second session
- HP 302- Wrestling Theory - Fall second session
- HP 303- Volleyball Theory - Fall second session
- HP 304- Track & Field Theory - Spring first session
- HP 305- Baseball Theory - Spring second session
- HP 306- Football Theory - Fall first session
- HP 309- Basketball Coaching Theory - Spring first session
- HP 310- Softball Theory - Spring second session
- HP 316- Tennis Theory - Fall first session
- HP 317- Golf Coaching Theory - Spring second session
- HP 318- Soccer Theory - Fall first session
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What can I do with an athletics coaching minor?
A: The athletics coaching minor provides students with academic preparation to coach at any level.
Q: I need to take HP 451 or HP 372. When will they be offered?
A: HP 451 Principles of Coaching and HP 372 Exercise Science for Coaches are offered in the Summer only.
Q: How do I get permission to register for HP 482?
A: Download the Coaching Practicum Application. Students must fill out the application and receive instructor permission to register. Email completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off at HC 1400.
Q: What if my sport is in both fall and spring semester? Which semester should I register for?
A: The coaching practicum requires you coach for a full season, which doesn't always line up with our academic semesters. Talk to the instructor to find out which semester to register for HP 482.
Q: How do I declare the Athletic Coaching minor?
You need to email the department's administrator, Kim Krueger, (email@example.com) requesting permission to declare the minor. Copy Dr. Armentrout (firstname.lastname@example.org) on the email. If you have transfer classes from other schools, talk to Dr. Armentrout to have those added to the minor on your DARS report.