Student OrganizationsPage address: http://ahn.mnsu.edu/fcs/studentresources.html
Professional FCS Meetings
FCS students are encouraged to attend professional meetings such as the Minnesota Dietetics Assoc. Annual meeting or the South Central District Dietetic Assoc. meeting (see the list of meetings that qualify on the application form). FCS scholarship money may be awarded to current FCS students who attend professional meetings for registration costs only, depending on the availability of funds. The maximum amount awarded per academic year is $25, not to exceed the cost of registration. The funds are disbursed after the meeting when the Student Application for Stipend to Attend Professional Meeting form and proof of payment and attendance (copy of check for registration or registration receipt) is provided to the Department of FCS office. Please contact your FCS advisor for meeting information.
American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences at Minnesota State University, Mankato (AAFCS–MSU)
The organization is affiliated nationally with the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS) and has state affiliation with the Minnesota Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (MAFCS).
The Objectives of AAFCS
- The core purpose of this organization shall be bringing people together to improve the lives of individuals, families, and communities.
- Provide the opportunity for developing family and consumer sciences leadership among student members.
- Provide the opportunity to meet and know people in the family and consumer sciences profession.
- Provide experiences to increase mutual understanding among people of all cultures.
- Explore career opportunities and promote knowledge of the capabilities of family and consumer sciences professionals.
- Promote the AAFCS program of work and plan–of–action.
Membership in this organization is open to all students enrolled as a major or minor in the Department of Family Consumer at Minnesota State University, Mankato. National AAFCS membership is required for membership in AAFCS–MSU.
For further information, please contact the AAFCS faculty advisor Dr. Jill Conlon.
Phi Upsilon Omicron
Phi Upsilon Omicron is the oldest national family consumer sciences honor society. Members are invited to join based on academic excellence, professional promise, and a willingness to serve others.
The Objectives of Phi Upsilon Omicron
- To recognize and encourage academic excellence.
- To develop qualities of personal and professional leadership.
- To provide opportunities for service to the profession.
- To encourage personal and professional integrity.
For further information, please contact the Phi Upsilon faculty advisor Dr. Joye Bond.
Student Dietetic and Nutrition Organization (SDNO)
All Foods and Nutrition majors and minors, and Dietetics majors are invited to join and attend the Student Dietetic and Nutrition Organization. The Student Dietetic and Nutrition Organization promotes professionalism in the area of Foods and Nutrition and Dietetics and promotes social and academic interaction among members.
For further information, please contact the Student Dietetic and Nutrition Organization faculty advisor Dr. Molly Timlin.
Child Development and Family Studies Club (CDFS Club)
The CDFS club was created in 2008 by students majoring in all areas of the Family Consumer Science Department (Child Development and Family Studies, FCS Education, Dietetics, Foods and Nutrition). The club welcomes any student who is interested in working with children and families. This organization works to promote the Child Development and Family Studies area through community volunteering and brings students of similar interests together for the sole purposes of educational enhancement and interactions with the community.
The Objectives of CDFS Club
- To provide students with the opportunity to work with a diverse range of individuals from Minnesota State University, Mankato and with the Mankato community through volunteer experiences.
- To allow members the experience of meeting and interacting with students in the Child Development and Family Studies profession and similar areas.
- To promote the Child Development and Family Studies major/minor through planned activities and fundraisers.
- To develop future career and internship opportunities through guest speakers.
Membership in this organization is open to all students enrolled as a major or minor in the Department of Family Consumer Science at Minnesota State University, Mankato.