Pre-Requisite CoursesPage address: http://ahn.mnsu.edu/dental/prerequisites.html
Bachelor of Science Degree in Dental Hygiene
ALERT: DHYG 223 Pharmacology won't be offered Spring 2020 so plan accordingly!!
Descriptions of courses listed below are available on the Undergraduate Catalog page.
General Education Prerequisites Required for Major
- BIOL 270 – Microbiology (4) ^
- CHEM 106 – Chemistry of Life Process Part 1 (3) or CHEM 111 - Chemistry of Life Process Part II (5) ^
- CMST 100 – Fundamentals of Communication (3) or CMST 102 - Public Speaking (3) ~
- ENG 101 – Composition (4) ~
- HLTH 101 – Health and the Environment (3) *
- PHIL 120W – Intro to Ethics (3) or PHIL 222W - Medical Ethics (3) *
- PSYC 101 – Psychology (4) ~
- SOC 101 – Introduction to Sociology (3) or SOC 150 - Social Problems (3) ~
- STAT 154 – Elementary Statistics (4) or SOC 202 - Introductory Social Statistics (3) ~
Other Course Prerequisites Required for Major
- BIOL 220 – Human Anatomy (4) ~
- BIOL 330 – Principles of Human Physiology (4) or BIOL 310 –Basics of Human Physiology (4) ^
- DHYG 100 – Perspectives in Dental Hygiene (1) ~
- DHYG 219 – Head and Neck Anatomy (2) #
- DHYG 223 – Pharmacology (3) *
- DHYG 225 – Oral Anatomy (2) #
- FCS 242 – Nutrition for Healthcare Professionals (3) *
Key for Prerequisites Required for Major
- (~) These courses must be completed prior to applying to the dental hygiene program
- (*) These courses must be completed prior to starting the dental hygiene program
- (^) Two of these three courses must be completed prior to applying to the dental hygiene program
- (#) One of these two courses should be completed prior to applying to the DHYG program; if you don't take one prior, you should be registered for both in the spring when you apply. One course may offered in summer so contact an advisor for these details; best to not rely on summer though. These must be completed prior to starting the program.
- Must earn a minimum grade of “C” in prerequisite courses; must take course for a grade.