shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato


Page address:

Do I Need to Apply for Graduation?

In order to receive your BS degree, you must apply for graduation.

How Do I Apply for Graduation?

Here is the link for graduation information:

When should I apply?

One year in advanced in ideal.  

  • Be sure to write on your application for graduation that you are seeking the Dental Hygiene BS Degree Major Code DNOL

[PDF] Sample Graduation Application (151 KiB)

Applications for Graduation are due no later than two weeks (14 calendar days) prior to the last day of a given term. Applications received after the deadline will not be evaluated for that term and will be moved to the next term.

The most common policies/requirements affecting graduation with a four year degree are:

  • A minimum of 120 semester credits are required.
  • 30 of a student's last 64 semester credits must be from MSU.
  • To obtain honors, at least 40 semester credits must be from MSU by the term before graduation.
  • The graduation requirements used must be from one of the last seven years.
  • General education requirements must be met.
  • Major/minor requirements must be met.

Some important items which will make the graduation process go smoothly are:

  • Make sure any transfer work has been sent to MSU.
  • If you have already applied for graduation and now wish to make some changes, do not fill out a brand new application—simply fill out a [PDF] revision form. (91 KiB)

Questions concerning caps and gowns should be directed to the Barnes and Noble bookstore on campus (room: SU 18, phone: 389-1649)

Questions concerning graduation ceremonies should be directed to the MSU Commencement Office (room: AF 217, phone: 389-1798)

Questions concerning undergraduate graduation should be directed to the Graduation Department (room: WA 132, phone: 389-6266, 1-800-722-0544)