shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

How to Apply

Page address:

When Can I Start?

Students can start in fall, spring, or summer.  Students need to allow 3 weeks for application processing.

How do I apply to the program?

Students need to complete two applications:

1.  Apply to Minnesota State University, Mankato: 

  • The online application information for transfer students is available on the Online Admission: Transfer Student page.
  • Alumni of Minnesota State University, Mankato do not need to reapply to the university and should contact Julie Dittrich about taking classes again.
  • Questions regarding the status of application should be directed to the Office of Admissions at: or by phone at: 507-389-1822.
  • MSU-Mankato requires "official" transcripts from all institutions attended.  These should be sent directly to the MSU Office of Admissions: 
    • Office of Admissions; Minnesota State University, Mankato; 122 Taylor Center; Mankato, MN 56001

2.  Apply to the Dental Hygiene Degree Completion Program

  • All students, transfer and MSU alumni, need to complete an application to the dental hygiene B. S. degree completion program.  Link to online application below.
    • MSU Alumni, you won't be able to complete the online application until you contact either the degree completion coordinator, Julie Dittrich, or the admissions office to get your major changed to the online program. 
  • You must be accepted to the univeristy before you can apply to the dental hygiene program.

Dental Hygiene Program Admissions Criteria and Procedures

Admission requirements to the Dental Hygiene BS Degree Completion program:

  1. Successful completion of a program in Dental Hygiene accredited by the ADA Commission on Dental Accreditation or current enrollment in a program.
  2. License to practice dental hygiene or eligible for licensure.
  3. A minimum grade point average of 2.0

If you are currently enrolled in a 2-year dental hygiene program and would like to start the degree completion program early, please contact Julie Dittrich for details:

The application for the dental hygiene degree completion program is online.

  • You will need to attach a copy of your current dental hygiene license.  If you haven't yet received this, you will need to submit this at a later date.
  • Please allow 5 business days for your dental hygiene application to be processed.

Click link to complete the online application (wait 24 hours after being accepted to university before applying): Dental Hygiene Degree Completion Program Online Application Link

Any questions or problems with the application process, such as StarID not working, be sure to contact Julie Dittrich, program coordinator, at  or 507-389-1041.

[PDF] Click here for application checklist to the dental hygiene degree completion program. (761 KiB)


Application Deadlines

To start in May (Summer Term) April 20th
To start in August (Fall Semester) July 30th
To start in January (Spring Semester) December 9th

How Long Do I Have to Finish?

You proceed at your own pace.  Students can take up to seven years to finish their degree following the same entry academic bulletin/catalog; you can take longer to finish but would have to update to a more current academic bulletin/catalog.  Click this link for academic bulletins/catalogs:

What is the Degree Audit (DARS) and How Do I Obtain One?

  • Transfer students will be emailed a copy of their transfer evaluation Degree Audit after acceptance to MSU
    • You will receive a copy of this about 4 weeks after you apply to the university.
    • If you don't recieve this in 4 week, please email
  • MSU Alumni who have taken any courses at another institution should request a transfer evaluation from the MSU Registrar's Office. This request can be made via email at or by phone at: 507-389-6266. 

Questions regarding the status of the Transfer Evaluation Degree Audit can be made via email at or via phone at: 507-389-6266.  Further information about transfer evaluations is available on the Transfer Evaluation page.