shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Program History

Page address: http://ahn.mnsu.edu/cd/programhistory.html

The undergraduate degree offered is the Bachelor of Science degree (B.S.) and the graduate degree is the Master of Science degree (M.S.). The M.S. has been available since 1970.

1953

first course offerings through the Department of Special Education.

1959

program faculty offices, the Speech and Hearing Clinic, the Speech Laboratory, and the classrooms were moved to Armstrong hall on the new Highland Campus and became a part of the Speech and Theater Arts Department. The program has remained in Armstrong Hall to the present day.

1976

the program became the Speech Pathology Department, a separate department within the College of Health and Human Performance. Subsequently, the name of the department was changed to the Department of Communication Disorders and the name of the College was changed to the College of Allied Health and Nursing and is a division of the College of Graduate Studies.

1983

the Speech–Language Pathology and Audiology Clinics became affiliated with the Key City Sertoma Club of Mankato. The affiliation allows access to Sertoma Foundation Programs of Sertoma International. Sertoma is a service organization providing support for individuals with communication and other disabilities. The local Key City Club provides financial support to the clinic service program and Sertoma International sponsors matching grants for service projects and scholarship support for faculty and staff in continuing education.

1998

the Department of Communication Disorders merged with the Department of Rehabilitation Counseling. The merged department was renamed the Department of Speech, Hearing & Rehabilitation Services (SHRS). The new department offers three degrees: a BS in Communication Disorders, an MS in Communication Disorders, and an MS in Rehabilitation Counseling.